Heidi Klein has over six years of legal experience in the areas of licensing, commercial contracts, privacy, entertainment, intellectual property, and technology-based transactions. Prior to joining Paradigm Counsel, Heidi was a senior associate in the Intellectual Property & Technology Transactions group at Royse Law Firm, PC. Heidi has also held positions with Viacom Media Networks and Lewis Brisbois Bisgaard and Smith, LLP.
Heidi regularly represents and counsels domestic and multinational companies on matters involving, technology, content and open source licensing, commercial transactions, trademark and brand protection, video game licensing and distribution, privacy laws, data collection and cross border data compliance, and commercial and intellectual property aspects of financing and acquisition transactions.
- Drafted and negotiated agreements for inbound and outbound software as a service (SaaS), data licensing and ownership, OEM, partner development/integration, distributor, sales representative and reseller agreements, hardware purchases with licensed embedded software, end user and enterprise software licenses, and various other commercial and technology-based transactions.
- Advised clients on website, internet and e-commerce issues, including terms of service and use, automatic renewal legal requirements, “influencer” obligations and false advertisement, and DMCA takedown requirements, and drafted related terms, agreements and policies.
- Counseled and assisted in the development of intellectual property strategies for startups and early growth stage companies.
- Drafted and negotiated video game licenses, modeling contracts and various entertainment-related transactions.
- Prepared internal and consumer facing privacy and data security policies; and counseled clients regarding Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act, the California Online Privacy Protection Act of 2003 and other state, federal, and international privacy issues, including cross border data transfers and EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) compliance.
- Counseled clients on advertising and marketing issues, including false advertisement and unfair competition, prepared and drafted brand licensing and joint marketing agreements.
- Advised clients on both inbound and outbound content development and licensing, including, photography, video, and TV content, and draft and negotiate related agreements.
- Drafted and negotiated numerous trademark licenses, co-existence, and settlement agreements.
- Represented clients (both on the side of petitioner and respondent) before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board in opposition and cancellation proceedings.
- Prosecuted numerous Trademark registrations before the United States Patent and Trademark Office and secure Copyright registrations.
- Advised clients (investor, and both buy and sell sides) on intellectual property and commercial issues for financings, mergers and acquisitions and asset transfers.
- Advised software and technology companies on open source licensing compliance and other open source or “free software” distribution and compliance issues.
- Drafted and negotiated numerous nondisclosure and proprietary information agreements.
- Drafted giveaways, sweepstakes and contest rules.
Heidi earned her B.A. degree in Psychology from the University of California at Santa Barbara and her J.D. degree and the Certificate in Intellectual Property Law from the Whittler Law School. Heidi was also awarded Fellowship from the Center of Intellectual Property at Whittier Law School. Heidi is admitted to practice law in California.
Heidi enjoys reading anything she can get her hands on, getting lost on reddit, and eating pizza with the perfect wine. In her spare time, when she is not hiking the hills of Silicon Valley, you can find her traveling and discovering new places.