Cookie Consent by Free Privacy Policy Generator website

Tim Coxon is a corporate and securities law attorney who counsels private investment fund sponsors on fund formation, operations, compliance and investment transactions. Tim also represents startup and emerging growth companies on incorporation, financings, mergers and acquisitions and general corporate matters.

Prior to joining Paradigm Counsel, Tim served for three years as in-house counsel to Ackrell Capital, an SEC-registered investment bank, where he managed the firm’s cannabis fund operations and advised on the firm’s private placement and M&A engagements. Tim previously spent nine years at Royse Law Firm, a Silicon Valley corporate and tax firm, where he focused on venture capital fund formation, corporate finance transactions and mergers and acquisitions.

Prior to law school, Tim developed financial and economic analyses for use in corporate litigation and regulatory matters as a consultant with LECG, a global expert services and consulting firm. Tim also served for seven years as an adjunct professor in the MBA program at the Santa Clara University Leavey School of Business.

Tim holds a J.D. from the Santa Clara University School of Law, an M.A. in Mathematics from San Francisco State University, and a B.A. in Mathematics from the University of Texas at Austin.

Representative Matters

Private Funds

  • Formed transportation-focused venture capital fund and negotiated fund terms and side letter with the fund’s anchor investor, a multinational automobile manufacturer
  • Advised fund sponsor on restructuring of Cayman venture capital fund involving transfer of the fund’s securities portfolio, redemption of the fund’s lead investor and capital infusion by a German private equity firm
  • Formed a series of sustainable technologies-focused venture capital funds with a high-profile West Coast family office as the anchor investor
  • Developed web-based securities offering and closing process for the sponsor of a series of special purpose vehicles formed to invest in early-stage technology companies
  • Formed special purpose vehicle to make a secondary acquisition of the preferred stock of a cloud-based enterprise contact center company, and negotiated side letter with high-profile East Coast family office anchor investor
  • Represented hedge fund manager in negotiating and structuring equity participation agreement for advisor
  • Advised fund management company’s ex-partner in a dispute regarding his clawback obligation under the company’s governing agreements
  • Advised private wealth management firm on terms of venture capital, private equity and hedge fund investments being considered for the firm’s clients

Corporate Transactions

  • Advised venture capital fund in its preferred stock financings of food technology company, AI-powered grocery delivery company and home-delivery smart box company
  • Represented lead investor in Series B financing of social media company focused on college search and application process
  • Represented technology consulting firm in formation of joint venture with a national CPG company to develop a line of personal care products
  • Represented Brazilian shipping and logistics software company on corporate reorganization and Series B financing involving creation of LLC subsidiary and investment by a global investment bank
  • Represented cannabis and tobacco vaporizer technology company in its convertible note and Series A financings
  • Represented US-based clothing manufacturer in its note and warrant financing transaction with a private investor group
  • Represented Canadian online auto sales platform in its sale to a US auto group of a 51% interest and option to acquire the remaining 49%

Team Members

© 2008-2022 Paradigm Counsel